<b></b>
Sweet

<b></b>
Savoury

<b></b>
DIYs

Vanilla, Lemon Curd & Blueberry Mini Cream Cakes

I was doing some washing up in my kitchen the other day whilst trying to decide what I could do for my entry for this months Treat Petite (I know multi-tasking at its finest) hosted by Cakey Boi and The Baking Explorer  when I remembered that Oh Happy Days posted a recipe about these adorable mini cakes that were baked in a tin can. 


I unfortunately only had one tin lying around and did not have nearly enough patience to bake them one at a time so instead I created these adorable delights.

To make 4 mini cakes you will need...


1 clean tin without paper and both bottoms


For the cake

125g Unsalted butter, softened
125g Caster sugar
2 Medium eggs
1tsp Vanilla extract
125g Self raising flour

For the cream

250g Extra thick double cream or standard double cream, whipped
50g Lemon curd
A punnet of blueberries

Method...


1). Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.


2). Cream the butter into your sugar until pale.




3). Beat in your eggs and vanilla then fold in flour.




4). Fill your greased or lined baking tin with your mixture



Its key to remember that your priority is surface area, you don't need to fill the entire pan as the cake will expand. If you have excess mixture just add it to another pan and bake at the same time.

5). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until your knife comes out clear. Leave to cool in tray for 5 minutes before then transferring to a cooling rack whilst you prepare your fillings. 




6). Fold your lemon curd into your extra thick double cream. If you can't get hold of this just whip up some double cream until it holds a stiff consistency.


I know, I know I'm terrible for not making my own lemon curd! I've only just realised the depths of this crime from attending a patisserie class where I made some. Homemade is always best.


But for all the UK foodies here, I used Marks & Spencer's Lemon Mousse Mix which is basically a re-brand of lemon curd. It tastes fantastic if your aren't going to make your own...naughty!




 7). Grab your tin and put your cake carefully on a chopping board. Push out your circle layers, don't worry if you've caused a cake crater from all your man handling as it won't make a difference to your little delights once they're finished.

Be careful with this part as I couldn't believe how sharp the tin was! Unfortunately this is not a child-friendly task.




8). Once you've cut out all your cake layers, get your blueberries and cream to hand. Now is the fun part!



Put one of your cake circles in the bottom of your tin and spoon in some of your cream. I like my cream layer to be rather thick but as always its your preference. Next add a layer of blueberries and finish by popping in another cake layer.



To get your cake out of the tin mould, gently put some force onto your cake whilst slowly pulling your tin up and off. Repeat these steps until you've created all your cakes.




 Look at these beauties!




The vanilla sponge is so light and with the blueberries and cream its just the perfect light treat. I could easily eat a pot of lemon cream. 




If you've got some icing sugar I'd always recommend sifting some over these mini delights as a little dusting never hurt anyone.



I could easily eat a pot of this cream... or perhaps just all four cakes.






These are absolutely great for parties!
Plus if you have the patience of a saint (which I do not) 
then these could end up looking really professional

Have you got any household tricks?

If so, let me know :)



6 comments

  1. Brilliant short cut. And for the record, I LOVE premade lemon curd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Risa never knew tin cans could be so handy! Saves buying expensive moulds :) Not going to lie store bought is tasty but home made is so easy - couldn't believe it! Have you made it before?

      Delete
    2. I have never made it before - now don't go making me feel all guilty! I suppose I could throw it on the 'to-try' list!!

      Delete
    3. Store bought is absolutely delicious but you must try it! I'll try and put a recipe up as soon as I can :)

      Delete
  2. These look wonderful! I love mixing curd with cream.... so decadent. And I love the way the blueberries are layered.... so inviting! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! I love their appearance and their lack of effect and difficulty is always a bonus ;)

      Delete

Back to Top